The Pajarito Environmental Education Center is looking for an educator. Resumes may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see the information below for details.
The Pajarito Environmental Education Center in Los Alamos, New Mexico is seeking an enthusiastic, experienced and responsible part-time educator to teach school and afterschool programs throughout the school year. Our educators use hands-on, experiential, and inquiry-based methods, to help program participants develop a deeper connection with the natural world in their schoolyards and beyond. This is a 10-month position, from August, 2012-May, 2013.
· Teach innovative, standards-based, hands-on, natural science education programs in both classroom and outdoor settings at PEEC, local schools, and offsite locations to groups of Pre-K through 12th grade children, following best practices. Types of programs include, but are not limited to, nature clubs, field science, outdoor survival etc.
· Learn our environmental education curriculum and implement the purpose, goals and objectives of each program.
· Help to develop new programsundefinedcome up with ideas, and write common-core standards- based curriculum.
· Teach programs independently and as part of a team.
· Independently create and stick to a complex schedule of school visits
· Communicate effectively and develop a rapport with public school teachers for scheduling and program assessments.
· Manage large and small groups of children effectively, while creating a safe, fun learning atmosphere.
Our ideal candidate will be:
· Energetic and hardworking; excited about sharing nature and the outdoors with children.
· Knowledgeable about effective teaching techniques for outdoor education.
· Experienced in designing, writing, teaching and evaluating environmental education curricula, lesson plans and activities tied to common core curriculum standards.
· Experienced in teaching kids of all ages in formal and informal settings
· An independent, self-starter; responsible.
· Degreed from an accredited college or university in environmental education, natural science, outdoor recreation or related field, or have equivalent experience.
· Organized, and able to juggle complicated schedules. A good communicator.
· Able to work both independently and on a team with minimal supervision.
A Caveat: Los Alamos is a small town surrounded by trails and nature. Most businesses close at 8 p.m., and the town is quiet, with limited shopping opportunities and activities for people in the 18-30 age range. The closest larger town is Santa Fe, about 45 minutes away. Be prepared for a quiet life if you are considering relocating to Los Alamos for this position.
Possible Public Allies Position: This position can be offered as a Public Allies position. As an Ally, you’ll earn a monthly stipend while working 10 months at a non-profit organization in your community. You will participate in leadership training and team service projects. Benefits of becoming an ally include health care, childcare, student loan deferments, and upon successful completion a $5,350 Education Award. Public Allies New Mexico Allies receive $15,000 over the 10-month period.
Pajarito Environmental Education Center (PEEC)
P.O. Box 547 Los Alamos NM 87544
505.662.0460 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 505.662.0460 end_of_the_skype_highlighting | email@example.com